Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding the financial aid process. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 215.965.4041 or by email at

To qualify for federal student aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, such as a Resident Alien, with a valid Social Security Number, be enrolled or admitted to a degree or certificate program, have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent, such as a General Educational Development (GED), be making Satisfactory Academic Progress if previously enrolled, and not be in default on prior student loans. 

To being the process and be considered for financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA. Moore College of Art & Design's school code is 003300. You will need this when filling it out. In some cases, a supplemental application may be needed, and additional forms are required if you plan to borrow loans, participate in the Federal Work-Study program, or have been selected for verification. Moore will send you instructions for completing these forms, if needed.

You are encouraged to apply online at  The online application is faster and more accurate.  Additionally, you may be able to transfer tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA online using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.  If you are unable to apply online, you should call the Federal Aid Processor at 1.800.433.3243 to request a paper copy.

No. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is an index that Moore's Financial Aid Office uses to determine the types and amounts of aid for which you are eligible. You may have to pay more than your EFC, or you may pay less. Rarely would you pay exactly the EFC indicated on your FAFSA.

You should apply as early as possible after October 1 for the upcoming school year. Moore’s deadline is December 3.

Yes, the December 3 deadline is used to determine eligibility for some types of institutional and federal aid, such as Federal Work Study. If you want to receive any financial aid, you should file the FAFSA as soon as possible, even if you have missed the December 3 deadline.

Yes. There are sources of aid such as Unsubsidized Direct Loans and the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) that are available regardless of need. Additionally, if your family experiences a change in circumstances (such as the loss of a job or other income, divorce, separation, or death of a parent), Moore's Financial Aid staff will be pleased to assist with re-evaluating your need.

No. If you are applying for admission to Moore, you should submit its FAFSA by December 3 to be considered for the maximum amount of aid even if you have not yet been admitted. You will receive a financial aid award letter after you have been admitted.

Yes. You should use your best estimates to complete the FAFSA by the deadline even if you haven’t yet filed your taxes. Once your taxes are filed, you can log into the FAFSA to update any data that has changed. If you file taxes electronically, you are able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your tax information about three weeks after completing your taxes. If you file taxes by mail, you can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool about eight weeks after filing your taxes.

Yes. Because circumstances can change, you must complete the FAFSA by December 3 each year you wish to receive financial aid. If you complete the FAFSA online, then much of the information will be pre-populated in subsequent years. You will only need to update household, income and asset information as well as any information that has changed from the prior year.

Information about you and, if married, your spouse is required. If you are a dependent student, you also must provide parental data.

You should provide information about the parent with whom you lived with most during the twelve month period prior to completing the FAFSA. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, then you should provide information about the parent who provided the most financial support during the twelve month period prior to completing the FAFSA. 

If your parent whose information is reported on the FAFSA has re-married as of the date you file the FAFSA, then yes, your step-parent’s income and asset information must be included on the FAFSA.

The FAFSA contains a series of yes or no questions that determine if you are dependent or independent for financial aid purposes.  If you answer “yes” to any of the questions, then you are considered independent, and if you answer “no” to all of the questions, then you are considered dependent for financial aid.

Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) is the agency that administers the state grant program for Pennsylvania residents. To be considered for a PHEAA State Grant, you should file your FAFSA by May 1.

Scholarships are a form of aid based on academic, artistic, or other merit.  Grants are a form of aid based on financial need.  Scholarships and grants are gift aid, which means they do not have to be paid back; they are free money!  Loans and work study are forms of self-help aid.  Loans have to be repaid, generally after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment.  Work study is aid you earn by working on campus. There are also some off-campus community service-type work opportunities available.

Yes. There is a limit to the total amount of aid you can receive, including outside scholarships. Sometimes, outside scholarships reduce the amount you have to pay out of pocket or through loans. Often, outside scholarships have no impact on the aid awarded by the Financial Aid Office. Occasionally, outside scholarships impact grant or scholarship aid awarded by Moore. The Financial Aid Office will inform you if your aid changes upon notification of an outside scholarship.

Complete all forms as early and as accurately as possible. Never pay to apply for financial aid or a scholarship. If you have questions, ask the Financial Aid Office at 215.965.4041 or by email at

Be sure to enter your name and Social Security Number exactly as they appear on your Social Security Card.

Yes, for more information about the Fostering Independence Tuition Waiver Program, please contact Financial Aid Counselor, Colleen Harkins at 215.965.4041 or