JILL KERWICK '78
Major: Two-Dimensional Fine Arts
Jill Kerwick received her BFA from Moore College of Art in 1978. Kerwick is a painter and collage artist who uses humor and mystery in her work. Kerwick also incorporates many of her late father’s paintings into 3 dimensional collages that she photographs. She collects ladies head vases, fabric and thrift shop paintings which also get incorporated, as do Kerwick’s own paintings.
- Make a little every day since it is more possible than having a full eight hours a day.
- Work needs time, don't look at it for a few days and work on something else.
- Looking at art supplies is part of the process.
- Show your work in process to other artists whose opinion you respect.
- Go to museums and wander.
- Take workshops.
- Read artists biographies (comedians, writers, painters…) I recommend DeKooning by Stevens and Swan.
- Putter in your studio, cleaning up sparks new ideas.
- Don’t be afraid to try something else. If you are a painter, try ceramics.
- Set up a routine.
- Have fun, it shows.