THE ILLUSTATION MAJOR OFFERS
Are you committed to telling a visual story that can move people through sharing ideas, conveying messages, or interpreting emotions? The Illustration major is dedicated to the ideal that an illustrator is first and foremost a knowledgeable and skilled artist/designer. Our renowned faculty encourage the development of a creative imagination and a personal style, while promoting the exploration of historic and contemporary illustration processes and practices. This approach prepares students for the challenging world of illustrative art and design. Professional business practices and presentation skills are emphasized to prepare students to enter professional careers.
- The Illustration Department prepares students to depart into the challenging and imaginative world of illustrative art and design.
- The dedicated faculty is committed to the idea that a competent illustrator is first and foremost a knowledgeable artist.
- The rigorous curriculum takes students through a comprehensive range of contemporary illustration-based courses, classical life drawing and painting courses
- The department regularly hosts a variety of guest illustrators, art directors and artist representatives from the fields of advertising, animation, book, corporate, editorial illustration and beyond.
- The Illustration Department is an elected Educator Member of the prestigious Society of Illustrators in New York City. The department chair and senior faculty participate in the Society’s biennial Educator’s Symposium.
- These practicing professionals lecture, demonstrate their own work, network with students and serve as critics during portfolio reviews and student presentations.
- First-hand experiences are central to this program. Each year the department embarks on a field trip to the Museum of American Illustration in New York. While in Manhattan, students view the best in contemporary illustration and often visit the art departments of periodical and magazine publishers including notables like Forbes, Scholastic Press, Time and The Wall Street Journal.
- The department also takes regular trips to the Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, PA and the Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington, DE. Both are respected for their extensive collections of classical illustration.