- Microcontroller Experiments for Artists and Makers, The Hacktory
- Courses in Motion Graphics and Web Design, Rochester Institute of Technology
- M.F.A. Photography, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Courses in Painting & Photography, Studio Art Centers International, Florence
- B.F.A. Photography & Graphic Design, Marywood University MFA Rochester Institute of Technology
- Other Selections, Group Show, Center for Art in Wood, Philadelphia, PA, 2015.
- Staging and Binding, Window on Broad, Rosenwald-Wolf Gallery, The University of the Arts, 2013
- Fiat Lux, Group Exhibition, The Print Center, Philadelphia, PA 2013
- "Docu-Commencement," group exhibition, Bryn Mawr College, 2012
- "James Johnson," solo exhibition, Oakland University, MI, 2012
- "...something of utility and art" Solo Exhibition, Oakland University Art Gallery, Rochester, MI, 2012
- Faculty iPad Initiative Exhibition, The Philadelphia Wall, The Galleries at Moore, Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- "Baltimore Liste," Group Exhibition, The Contemporary Museum, Baltimore, MD, 2012.
- "Temptations," Group performance, Philadelphia, 2012.
- "Strange Magic", Group Exhibition, Guest Spot, Baltimore, MD, 2011-2012.
- "Work," Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
- Faculty Triennial Exhibition – Practice and Process, The Galleries at Moore: Goldie Paley Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- “Works on Paper”, Group Exhibition, Arcadia University Art Gallery, Glenside, PA. 2010.
- “Ray Studios Presents” at Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- "Yes, Yes I am happy, aber glücklich bin ich nicht", Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- "No Soul For Sale - A Festival of Independents", Tate Modern, London, UK, 2010.
- "Text as Image", Group Exhibition, Lump Gallery, Raleigh, NC, 2010.
- "Works on Paper", Group Exhibition, Arcadia University Art Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2009."
- "I Don't Watch the Internet", Fleisher Ollman Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2009.
- "1.5 Million" Group Exhibition, Tyler School of Art’s Stella Elkins Tyler Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2009.
- Break, Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA, 2009
- Vox Populi at No Soul for Sale: A Festival of Independents, X-Initiative, New York, NY, 2009
- West Collection New Acquisitions, NEXT Art Fair: The Invitational Exhibition of Emerging Art, Chicago, IL, Curated by Paige West and Lee Stoetzel 10, SEI Investments, Oaks, PA, Curated by Paige West and Lee Stoetzel, 2009
- Vox Populi at UNC Chapel Hill, John and June Allcott Gallery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, Curated by Leah Bailis, 2009
- Expanded Marks, SPACE, Portland, ME, Curated by Andrew Suggs, 2009
- Invented: (un)Realities, In Two Parts, Borowsky Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, Curated by Josh Rickards and Julianna Foster, 2009
- Some Rooms - Part I (Yours), Vox Populi, Philadelphia, PA, 2008
- 3D Concerns - Nostalgia, Architecture, Illusion, Repetti, Long Island City, NY, Curated by Sam Farnsworth, 2008
- Merge or Fade, Three Walls, Chicago, IL, Curated by Shannon Stratton, 2008
- A Closer Look 7, Arcadia University Art Gallery, Glenside, PA, Curated by Sheryl Conkelton "Break", Vox Populi Gallery, Philadelphia, PA, 2008
- Huffington Post - This Amazing Contemporary Photography Project Is Devoted Entirely To Cats features work by James Johnson, 2014.
- Photo essay, "Life & Practice," Title magazine
- Published in: Vox Populi, "We're Working on it - Vox Populi 21st Anniversary Book," Catalogue 2010.
- "Whats it Worth? Works on Paper at Arcadia - the Show" Review featuring James Johnson and Andrea Beizer, Artblog, 2009.
- Gallery Talk Interview by Gabriel Martinez, Vox Populi, 2009
- Residency, Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Summer 2007
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Omaha, NE, 2007
Awards and Fellowships
- 2011 Independence Foundation Fellowship, a Philadelphia arts fellowship
- 2009 Pennsylvania Council on the Arts 2009 Individual Creative Artists Fellowship
- 2008 West Prize, Acquisition Finalist
- 2007 Pennsylvania Council on the Arts 2007 Individual Creative Artists Fellowship
- 2006 Purchase award for Arcadia University permanent collection
James Johnson some rooms
James JohnsonSome Rooms - Part I (Yours) (Installation view) Installation (framed two-way mirror, vanity lights, archival inkjet prints, fluorescent lights, wood, fabric, thimble, night-lights, foam-core, extension cords, table, computer, software, power-strips, home automation devices, tape, zip-ties, chair) 220 in x 96 in x 241 in 2008