The curriculum ensures that students develop the knowledge and skills to conceptualize and execute projects independently, and complete an ambitious body of work as a culminating senior thesis. An emphasis on critical thinking, problem-solving and risk-taking throughout the program encourages students to develop confidence to experiment and the self-reliance to become courageous life-long learners. The interdisciplinary curriculum supports students' self-identified emphases, including painting, sculpture, video, performance and installation.
Through studio and seminar courses students develop a deep understanding of contemporary issues and historical perspectives in art practice. In addition to the individual studios, students have access to drawing and painting studios, the printmaking shop, metal shops and ceramics studio. Read more about the major...
News & Highlights
- 95% of 2013 Fine Arts graduates are employed, 83%with organizations in their field of study. For more details visit the Locks Career Center page
Fine Arts adjunct faculty member David Guinn is responsible for a new mural at the Shake Shack on 20th and Sansom Streets. Read more about it in The Philadelphia Inquirer . Two students, Chelsea Grau and Sapientia Park, both fine arts juniors, worked the paint table at the Shake Shack mural painting event.. Guinn is also designing a mural on 4th and Manton Streets in South Philadelphia.
- Congratulations to Fine Arts Chair Robert Goodman on being honored with the 2014 Lindback Distinguished Teaching Award.
- Moore faculty member Heather Ujiie’s “Erotic Alchemy” opens at the Philadelphia Art Alliance on September 11 and runs through November 30, 2014. .
- During the 2014/2015 school year, Moore students will be participating in an unprecedented “classroom without walls” modeled-project with The ArtBlog in collaboration with the Village of Arts and Humanities.
- Lee Price '90 was featured in an article on Huffington Post called Artist Challenges The Pattern Of Food-Shaming Women With Stunning Nude Self Portraits (NSFW) and also on Mashable Hyperrealistic Paintings Explore the Hidden World of Binge Eating.
- A Fine Arts junior with a minor in Textile Design, Maxine Whiteley is diligent about professionally documenting her work on the social media sites Behance and Tumblr, as well as on her own personal Website. Read more...
Michelle Ortiz '00 arts collective Las Gallas, performed at the International Festival of Poetry in Havana, Cuba in the Museo de Bellas Artes in Havana. They also participated in the Women's Forum during the conference, and shared their community arts work in a special workshop with local artists in Regla. They also were featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer. See the article here. Michelle is one of the featured artists showing several works in the "Chicanismo y Latinismo" exhibition at the Creative Alliance in Baltimore, Maryland.